4.01.2011

the finish line

There is just something about second semester of Junior year for me. I don't really know if patterns can be defined by just two examples, but if I remember correctly, the spring of my junior year of high school was quite a mess, in similar ways to how this semester has been. A good mess at times, a mess full of growing experiences, but a mess nonetheless. But among the mess comes a certain amount of confidence in the God who continues to take care of me, and I get to the point of not really minding that constant reminder that I can't do this alone. Life is good right now for me, really it is, but I think more and more I am realizing the brokenness of the people I am surrounded by, and that's what's getting to me. I wish that I had the capability to make things right, even though I know it's illogical to think I have any control over the circumstances in my friends' lives.

BCM was good last night. It's ironic that I picked last night to go, considering all the weeks I've skipped this semester and how much I had to get done last night. But I think what Doug talked about last night was very timely, as we are approaching the end of the semester, and was absolutely a reminder that I needed.

[Paul] said to them, "You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in Asia, how I was with you the whole time, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house, solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. "And now, behold, bound by the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me. But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God. - Acts 20:18-24

A lot of us start well, excited about the future and the prospect of a new beginning. But how many of us can truly say that we end seasons of life with the same fire we started? Crunch time is beginning. Finals week is becoming more than just a distant headache, organizations are planning their final activities (all on the same weekend, I'm realizing) and friends are trying to cram in their last bits of quality time before spending days together becomes difficult or impossible. But what is going to pay the price during this increased period of business? What are we going to let slide while we fight to juggle an increasing amount of obligations? Pain is temporary, but quitting is eternal. Finishing strong, saying goodbye in good conscience, and remaining completely surrendered to God's call is not going to be an easy process, for me, or for anyone. But giving up, letting my attitude be adversely affected by the approaching end as school continues to pile up and the thought of losing friends to "growing up" is more and more on the forefront of my mind, or by slacking off and coasting both in work and relationships... the ramifications of that are final. How we choose to handle the next month is permanent.

Time is short, and I am becoming increasingly aware of that. Whether that phrase is read in context of school ending, or the general cliché meaning, it's true regardless. Let your conversations matter. Say what needs to be said, and don't waste time. Don't shrink back from saying what profitable, both for you and for others. Don't waste time on small talk, on meaningless conversation when you have the opportunity to pour into the lives of others and share the hope we have in Christ. Encourage others to fight for the same. Take advantage of this time, and REDEEM it.
(Draw an imaginary arrow from this paragraph back to the opening sentences)

Be satisfied with the way you end. And believe that the end is good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with ya! Thanks for the challenge and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete