3.15.2011

patients and patience

I went to bed mad last night, something that is pretty abnormal for me. I woke up mad, at something other than the fact that it was at 5 in the morning, although that might have been fuel to the fire. Justifiable anger? probably. Righteous anger? probably not. Mad is gone, frustration is hesitantly leaving, and prayers for an understanding and compassionate attitude are at the very top of my list. I'm working on it.

A bad morning does not typically set the stage well for a good clinical, but this week was a surprising and welcome exception. Each week, I keep finding myself a new "favorite patient ever" and today was no exception. It's kind of incredible the amount of encouragement I sometimes get from the people I work with. How I am there with the intention of giving, but it usually ends with me receiving just as much, if not more.

Today was our first day on the oncology floor - where will tentatively be for the rest of the semester. I can't say it would be my specialty of choice, but much more enjoyable than I expected. I spent the day in the outpatient center, watching and minimally helping with chemo infusions, etc. The patient I spent the most time with was there for a bone marrow biopsy and after the (very painful looking) procedure, another student and I spent awhile sitting in his room and listening to his story, about the cancer and the platform it had given him. He talked about the importance of hope in Christ, and how integral it had been to his recovery. How we need to pray for the impossible, and have HOPE that we serve a God powerful enough to meet our needs, even when we don't quite know what they are. That's what I needed to hear today. Sometimes things seem impossible. Sometimes friends seem impossible. But my God is possible.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." - Romans 15:13

I really want Jello right now. Unfortunately, the Jello I just made will take 4-6 hours to congeal... at which time, I probably will want sleep more than I want Jello.

1 comment:

  1. What is this crazy jello that takes that long to congeal? Or is that normal, and its just been that long since I've had jello? I know jello pudding takes like 5 min, though...

    Anyhoo, I'm super glad that you're blogging about clinicals. I know pretty much nothing about what you do on your crazy early Fridays, and I want to.

    And I love you.

    ReplyDelete